Wednesday, September 24, 2014

New 5K PR & Learning Lessons

It's funny how easy it is to overdo something. You feel good so you push harder, until one day you get a dose of "Oh crap, I hope I'm not going to regret this".

Since Memorial Day 2014, I had started a run streak. I ran at least a mile a day every day. It was going great. Initially my goal was to complete the 40 day challenge from Runners World. The challenge ran from Memorial Day to Independence Day. I enjoyed the challenge, and ended up continuing it after the 40 days.

I did not know how long I would streak for. I began to think 100 days would be a good goal, and even thought about a one year running streak. Problem is, I knew I was getting into marathon training, and I was not sure how my body was going to handle all the extra miles. So I figured I would just play it by ear.

I was feeling strong. I had built my long run up to 15 miles. I was still streaking daily and had added some PiYo into the mix.

Then I made a stupid decision. I was scheduled to run 16 miles (for the first time), 15 miles being the most I had done up to that point. So I decided I would run 13 miles, and then run a 5k race. I felt good during the 13 mile run. So when I arrived at the 5k race a half hour after completing my run, I decided I felt good enough to actually try to PR this race.

I ran the race strong. I felt good. In the last stretch I came across a boy who seemed to be struggling. I told him we were almost there, and he was able to pick his pace back up. Then I had the brilliant idea to tell him I'd race him to the finish... Yep, I sprinted my butt off trying to beat this 13 year old looking boy that was probably 20 years younger than me, and who had not ran 13 miles before this race. Brilliant idea! He beat me by seconds, and it was fun. I ended up earning a new PR of 25:23 :)

For the rest of the day I felt great. I felt kinda badass even. That is until Sunday morning. I woke up to my right heel hurting. And upon Googling my symptoms (never a great idea), I came to the conclusion that I must have plantar fasciitis, and all my races for the rest of the year were in jeopardy.

I was really worried about having a bad injury that would take me out for the season. So I decided to walk my mile for the streak, even though up until this point I had ran at least a mile everyday.

I woke up Monday to it still hurting, and decided to not run that day and to end my streak all together. I ended up going to see a physical therapist, who determined it was not plantar fasciitis. Thank God! I had just over done it and have tight calves. She did some laser treatments to my foot and gave me some stretches to do before and after every run. She said I needed to be better about stretching.

Luckily everything worked out, and I have been running pain free for over three weeks now. So moral of the story, listen to your body and your trainer. My goal right now is to complete my first marathon, not risk injury on last minute 5k PR's.

Does running fry brain cells?

RIP Run streak! I made it 90 days of running at least a mile each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment below.