Thursday, April 17, 2014

Asics Gel Cumulus 15 Review

So true!
At the end of February I had determined I needed to switch out my Brooks Ghosts 6's as my left side of my foot kept really hurting after my runs. The outside of the shoes still looked brand new. Even the bottom tread was not too bad. It was the insides that started wearing down. These were my first pair of actual running shoes that I had gotten fitted for at the local running store. I have never experienced wearing down a shoe from the inside out. I'm estimating I had put around 400+ miles on them. It is recommended  that you retire your running shoes between 300 and 500 miles, so it was time.

I will admit it was a little hard retiring my Brooks Ghosts 6's. They carried me through many personal distance records including my first half marathon race. They are still sitting in my closet in a shoe box. I figure I can wear them just walking or when I do obstacle 5K races. -- Anyone else have an attachment to your running shoes? Hehe

Back to the new shoes-

Again I went to my local running store Off n'Running to get fitted for new shoes. I had a different sales person this time which I was happy about as I wanted to see if she had the same recommendations as the last guy I had consulted with. She analyzed my gait and came to the same conclusion. I have a normal arch with neutral foot alignment. So the shoe that they recommend for me is Neutral. Which is a nice cushioned shoe.

Asics Gel Cumulus 15
I had gone to the store half expecting to come out with a brand new pair of Brooks Ghosts 6's in maybe a new color. However, I was open to trying anything that they recommended. I tried on probably 5 pairs of shoes including the Brooks Ghosts 6's. I actually found I liked the Asics Gel Cumulus15's the best. They felt really nice. I especially liked the cushioning around my heels. So I went ahead and bought them for around $115.

I immediately took them out for our first miles together.  I ran a nice easy paced 5.44 miles. Overall the shoes felt pretty good. I did notice my toes felt like they were rubbing from underneath which I had never experienced with my other shoes. This went on for a couple of weeks and usually happened towards the end of my runs. Just when I wondered if I should take them back and try something different it stopped.

First time out of the box and hitting the asphalt
I'm glad I am reviewing them now because I think it took a couple of weeks to really break them in. I have about 150 miles on them now and I have absolutely no issues with them. They are very comfortable and have fantastic ankle support. The colors are fun and bring me back to when I was 5 and my favorite colors were pink and purple. My 2 year old loves them and when she sees me wearing them she says "Oh, pretty mama." I would definitely buy them again.

I just completed my 2nd half marathon race with these and have another race in a month that I will wear them in. Before I know it, it will be time to retire these. Who said running is cheap?!


I give these shoes 5 out 5 stars after 2 weeks of breaking them in. They get a 3 out of 5 until broken in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment below.