Friday, May 30, 2014

Half Crazy to Fully Crazy!

So I jumped off the cliff into fully crazy! I signed up for my first FULL marathon, yikes! It still does not feel real. I can't even fathom it right now.

I chose to do the TowneBank Outer Banks Marathon on November 9. I have 3 half marathons coming up this fall so I can use some of them as training runs. I figure now is the time to do it since I have a really good mileage base going into it. I also read a lot of reviews of the OBX Marathon and decided it would be a good first marathon. It is a point-to-point course that is mainly flat. It includes some challenges to keep it interesting. Supposedly there is a semi tough portion through the Nags Head Woods Preserve around mile 12 that takes you trail running for about 2 miles. Then at mile 23 you cross the 35 foot tall Washington-Baum Bridge leading to Roanoke Island (stats: 1.05 mi long, 82' high, with a 650' climb to the top at a 4% grade). Check out the full course description.

The course description gets me excited and nervous. I like how it sounds like an amazing journey in a beautiful place. I just pray for perfect cool cloudy weather for race day. The weather can make or break any race.

I decided to do my training with RunnerDude's Fitness again. That way I have a coach to help me with my training plan and to run with other runners training for the same race. So my official training starts in July.

I jumped off the cliff and we will see how I land :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment below.