Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Racing in the Rain

Saturday I had a new experience. It was my first long run with my running group. I was excited and a little nervous. It had been awhile since I had run over 5 miles. I was scheduled to do 7 miles but had decided to do 8 since it is easier to know when to turnaround.

We meet to run at 7:30 am. It is still a little dark at that time during this time of year. The weather was also very yucky. At first it was just raining a normal drizzle. Quickly it turned into a torrential downpour with some gnarly thunder and lightning. Many in the group turned around once they heard the thunder and lightning.

I kept going as I felt relativity safe on the greenway as it runs through the trees with no open fields. Only one other lady finished her 8 miles too. We laughed and talked awhile until she just wanted to get the run done and ran ahead of me. I would have loved to keep up with her but I just could not move any faster. I felt twenty pounds heavier with all the water. My feet were soaked. The funny part was that I felt pretty good and not at all miserable.

Coming back, the greenway was like a river. It was crazy and a little fun all at once. It was like training for a mud run or obstacle course race.

I'm proud of myself for getting it done. I felt like a true bad ass runner :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment below.