Friday, August 2, 2013

Virtual Races

Something really neat I discovered last month is Virtual Races.

What is a Virtual Race?

A virtual race is just like a normal race. There a number of different lengths you can sign up for including 5K, 10K, Half Marathon and Marathon. They are great because there is usually a time period you have to finish the race by. So you can do the race when it works for your schedule (weekday, weekend, morning, night, outdoors, treadmill, etc). I've seen some that have you sign up for a marathon but you can take as many runs as you want to total the full marathon. You can even walk them if you chose because there is no actual time limit. I see a lot of people doing them with their kids.

One such race:

Joggermom Cancer Run Virtual Marathon 2013
When: Tuesday, October 1, 2013 at 1:00 AM - Thursday, October 31, 2013 at 11:30 PM (PDT) 
What: You have the whole month to complete 26.2 miles, there is no need to complete it all in 1 run

Note: I'm signed up for this one and am very excited. I will be logging miles for my training anyway so I might as well have some fun while I'm at it. 


What you get:
  • Normally you get a downloadable race bib that you can personalize and printout
  • Sometimes a t-shirt
  • Usually a finishers medal
  • Chances to win fun prizes
  • Satisfaction that you are running for different charities
  •  
The races tend to range in price from $10 to $30. Some you can do for fun but you will not get any goodies or bling. Just a printable bib and you can enter your time.

So far I have completed the Mom's Run This Town Summer Virtual: Running Mad 2013. I absolutely loved the theme and the medal is super cute.

I completed the 5K running with my bean. We had a blast. I printed out the bib and pined it on the jogging stroller. We took pictures of our run and just had fun with it. I can't wait to get my medal and see the final results of all the other racers. I'm also hoping to have won a prize in one of their random drawings.

A great place to find out about all the different virtual races is the Facebook Group Virtual Runs! There are a lot of fun ones out there with really fun themes. Most are for great causes.

So what are you waiting for? Let's virtual race :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment below.